How to install the latest delicious addon on the latest version of Firefox
As I'm writing this, the latest delicious addon (2.1.106) to Firefox does not support the latest Firefox 4 version; as a consequence Firefox won't allow the addon to be installed. These instructions help fixing the problem by fooling Firefox into believing that the addon is compatible. I haven't seen any issues using it in the last couple of weeks.
Go through the following steps:
- Get a ZIP-compatible archiver (such as 7-Zip)
- Get the delicious addon (go to the download page and then right-click to download rather than install)
- Extract the .xpi with the ZIP archiver
- With a text editor edit install.rdf and replace em:maxVersion="4.0b3pre" with a version greater or equal to the current Firefox version (i.e. em:maxVersion="4.0")
- Remove the META-INF folder as it contains signing information which gets broken by messing with the content as we did in the previous step
- Recreate the .xpi by zipping the files previously unzipped, and then change the .zip extension to .xpi
- Drag the xpi file and drop it on an empty Firefox tab to install it.
Delicious will eventually support Firefox 4.